Friday, April 11, 2008

Once upon a time I wanted to be a writer. (Or a world traveler)

I have been missing in action I know, I am sure people are checking my blog every day in anxious anticipaton of my next posting.

Work (yes I have a job) has been insanely busy but I love it. Ben and I finally found a house and move this weekend. That is the short version of what I've been up to. So, on to the good stuff...


I just started a new book, I'm on page 40 and every time I pick it up and read a few paragraphs I want to throw myself off a cliff but I can't stop reading it. I think the idea behind the story is great, but the book not so great. I love to read and can typically find good in any book, I couldn't figure out what I found so annoying but I've decided I hate the writer's voice. She's so annoying and self-centered, it's all about her. This should be okay since it is essentially her life that's the story but I still find her cloying.

It does have me thinking about a few things however.

First, that I once wanted to be a writer. This poorly written book has shown me that maybe those dreams weren't so far fetched. If Elizbeth Gilbert can write a best seller, so can I damnit.

Obviously, I never thought I would grow up to be a Project Assistant but I now realize that we all have our thing: organization is my thing. Give me an Excel spreadsheet or a checklist and I go to my happy place. Still, somewhere deep down I want to be a writer. As kids we all aspire to be rockstars or in my case a marine biologist (if you had asked me when I was 10), but I always knew in my heart that I wanted to be a writer. I used to go in my room and get all set up with a notebook and pens convinced I was going to write the next Pulitzer Prize winning novel. All I ended up with were a bunch of mostly empty notebooks with a few pages of melodramatic teenage drama. Those pages were usually written not because I was terribly angst ridden but because I couldn't think of anything to say so I would write in order to practice my penmanship. If I couldn't write a great story at least what I did write would look pretty. I have exquisite penmanship. (If I ever have to write a personal ad, I think that might be my heading).
SWF with excellent penmanship seeking SM who loves books, jeopardy, wine and appreciates a well crafted handwritten letter.

I still have this problem with words though, I've just never been a communicator. I have so many ideas (and opinions) but can't actually turn them into anything tangible. Such is life.

Second, it has me thinking about things I love. I am early in the book, (Eat, Pray, Love) and while I find the author to be a pretty mediocre writer I came upon a paragraph that I found strangely moving.




"Traveling is the great true love of my life. I have always felt...that to travel is worth any cost or sacrifice. I am loyal and constant in my love for travel, as I have not always been loyal and constant in my other loves. I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless newborn baby-I just don't care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because it's mine. Because it looks exactly like me. It can barf all over me if it wants to-I just don't care."



There are two things in life that make me feel this way, travel (or the idea of traveling) and words. I love to read and to write as evidenced by the diatribe a few paragrahps up.

I love traveling or the idea of traveling, since I haven't done much of it. I do however plan to one day be independently wealthy and see the world. In the meantime I guess I will settle for an overseas trip every few years.

3 comments:

Daphne said...

I am so glad you are no longer MIA !!! I have checked everyday for your newest post, and was so sad to not have one until today.
I guess what they say about the apple not falling far from the tree, it is true. As you know, I too have always wanted to be a writer. My penmanship may not be as pretty as yours, but it's not half bad. Unfortuanately, I, too, have a problem turning ideas into tangible written words.
I guess we are more alike than I ever thought, and that thought warms my heart.
Erica and the kids have been here this week and we have really missed having you here. The funny stories are waiting to be told.
I'm glad you guys have found a place and will be moving in.
I love and miss you.
Mom

Debby de Carlo said...

You're 3/4 of the way there. EB White said writers develop an ear for writing by reading good books. You do that, and you recognize mediocre writing, and you recognize great writing (hence, Jane Austen is one of your favorites). You write great posts. Keep it up.
You too, Daphne! I know you are missing your wonderful daughter. You'll have to come visit!
Debby

dani-pack said...

i just wrote the longest reply to your post and it was lost....

half of it was about me, anyway, so that's probably why. the comment was too awesome to ever exist.

i'll sum it up in a less awesome way:

-you're a great writer.
-i've always wanted to be a writer.
-let's climb trees.
-let's all travel together (1st=redwoods).
-let's write a book together.
-read gabriel garcia marquez books if you haven't already.
-miss you desperately!
-send me your new address.

love!