Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm a feminist?

Feminism: 1) the theory of political, economic and social equality of the sexes 2) organized activity on behalf of womens rights and interests.

I'm a feminist? I used to think that feminism was a bad word. It's only recently that I've come to accept that feminism is something different for every woman, it's not just angry women railing against men and burning their bras. (Though, what grown women hasn't wanted to at some point burn the bra). Someone pointed out to me recently that without the work of proud, courageous feminists I wouldn't have the right to vote, choose who I'm going to marry or have a job and support myself. I would be proud to be called a feminist.

The point is, I'm not quite sure how it happened but this week I found myself defending (DEFENDING?) Sara Palin.

I think part of the defense may be that I've received too many e-mails and heard too many people say lately that Sara Palin is from a hick town, where everyone hunts, eats moose burgers and want to deny women rights they are entitled too.

I was born in Anchorage, Alaska and my early childhood years were spent in Wasilla. I don't own a gun, never will. I have no desire to eat moose burgers or shoot wolves from an airplane. I don't want to deny a women who has been raped or the right to decide if she should carry and give birth to her rapists baby. I don't want to deny the young woman who is working her way through college the choice that may end all her hopes and dreams.

I want to stand in the middle of the street and scream at the men with our country's nuclear codes and their finger on the button just waiting for any small excuse to push it to go f**k themselves. I realize this would probably get me arrested or on the terrorist watch list which wouldn't do my cause any good but still, I think it would make me feel better. But I digress...back to Sarah Palin.


There are so many reasons Sarah Palin has no business being Vice President of this country, just a heartbeat a way from the Presidency. The McCain camp screams sexism anytime someone looks at Palin the wrong way. Tina Fey's portrayal of Palin on SNL was sexist? Come on, even they can be more original than that.

What is sexist are the snarky comments that a mother of five should not be running for office. She can't do a good job because she has kids at home? I realize the importance of children having their mother but I think that there are so many other family structures that can work. Their father can be a stay at home dad, grandparents can help out and in all those scenarios they will still have a mom. A mom who I'm sure will love her kids.

My defense of Sarah Palin ends there. Again, there are many, cogent yet terrifying reasons this woman should not be Vice President, none of them have to do with the fact that she is a mother of five.

But I'll give you a few...



-The mere thought of this woman taking questions from reporters send the McCain campaign into a panic (turns out from the clip above their panic is justified). This woman will be second in command and could possible run out country someday. She's going to have to talk to people a lot tougher than some Fox news reporters.
-She preaches abstinence only education with her 17-year old daughter standing next to her. Not only hypocritical but just plain dumb. Apparently when middle class white people have pregnant teenage daughters it's a reason to rejoice. Could you imagine if Barack Obama had a 17 year old pregnant daughter?
-She doesn't know what the Bush doctrine is. Granted, I don't either but I'm also not a Vice Presidential candidate. Ben happened to be out of town for that gem of an interview and when I mentioned it to him, he was able to give me a clear,concise explanation of the Bush doctrine.
-She sites the fact that you can see from Russia from parts of Alaska as foreign policy experience. Just for the record, by being born in Alaska this also means I have foreign policy experience. Maybe Obama should have picked me for his running mate. Never mind the fact that she acquired a passport only one year ago and has left the U.S approximately one time.

Sarah Palin is not a feminist, her rise is not to be compared to Hillary Clinton's. She is a pawn in a man's grand plan. She was chosen not because she's qualified but because she's attractive and can appeal to the Christian right. People who believe that dinosaurs walked the earth a mere 6,000 years ago. I for one know I don't want another 8 years of those people running our country.

I guess the point of all this is that I am embracing my new found feminism and while I know there are many more qualified than me to extol the virtues of feminism, I'll do my best. Oh yeah, and Sarah Palin's an idiot.

2 comments:

Guitar Ben said...

I sure do love you. Ya know, like, quite a bit.

dani-pack said...

I completely agree with your defense of Palin as a mother. I hate that men can have 2,000,000,000.78 babies and it never leads to questions regarding their ability to perform their job.
Plus, there are so many other things available for us to complain about regarding Palin. She called herself "Joe six pack" on a radio show recently, saying that it's time for a normal American to be in the Vice Presidency...but she has her own plane. I don't know how normal that is.