Thursday, February 28, 2008

Welcome to Portland

Ben and I arrived safely in Portland on Tuesday evening! We had not planned on arriving until sometime Thursday. We were going to take a detour in Northern California and cut over to the coast. A trip to the Redwoods was on the agenda. When we left Scottsdale on Monday morning I had a minor cold which quickly turned into a major cold. Ben's back started killing him after day one of the drive and has only been getting worse. It's been miserable but we found a Bikram yoga studio less than 5 miles away. Our first class is tomorrow morning and we consider it a cure all, so I'm sure we will be feeling better after.

We will have to save the Redwoods trip for summer but the weather will be better then anyway.

We had unexpected beautiful weather for the whole drive, no rain or snow. It has been sunny (SUNNY! Not a cloud in the sky) and 60 degrees since we arrived. I can't believe it hasn't rained yet.

Just a few weird things we have learned about our new home since arriving...

-No sales tax (this is very strange to us, we are used to paying an extra 8%)
-You cannot pump your own gas. Seriously. You will get in trouble if you try to pump it yourself. I think it's illegal. I'm not sure why yet but I'll find out.

Ben left a few minutes ago to pick up his nephew from school (dropping him off and picking him up is part of our every day routine) but I will post video and pictures from the road soon.

I can't wait for everyone to come visit.

4 comments:

Carrie Anne said...

um no sales tax and no pumping your own gas? sign. me. up. i canNOT wait to come visit. let's definitely plan something as soon as you get settled. say the word and i'm bookin' a flight.

dani-pack said...

um...i can't believe you're there already. part of me thought that you'd be lost in a vortex until we moved so that we'd all arrive simultaneously. but i guess it's better this way, you can get everyone prepared for the insanity that will surely ensue upon our arrival.
i'm sorry to hear that you missed the redwoods, but i'm also not sorry because we need to all go out there together. at least, if you'll have us. lex has never been, and i haven't seen them since i was 1/1,000,000th the size of them. i'm now 1/999,999th the size of them.
i'm babbling.
we miss you desperately already and hope that you both feel better very soon.
please post info on the new studio, i want to hear how it is.

or call us when you're not busy.

loves!

drmcgehee said...

i am glad you and ben and the dogs made it there safely, but this comment is in response to your blog of 1/29/08. you may think that i didn't instill the love of politics in you, but contrary to what you believe, i did vote in almost EVERY election, unless i was giving birth or had just given birth or about to give birth to you or any of your 4 siblings. your father was not a big voter, so maybe, just maybe, you did get it from me without realizing it. we may not see the same way politically, but it doesn't mean i am any less passionate than you. i just keep it more to myself so as not to offend (you know, pretty much how i get through life). but, know that i love you, love my family and love my country. i have always said that if you don't vote, you have no right to complain. so in order for me to complain or gripe i DO vote, now and in the past. love you, mom

Jennifer said...

Oh I am so excited for you guys!! I can't wait to come and visit....I want someone to pump my gas and no sales tax sounds perfect. Now Erin make sure you find a store kind of like Last chance and I would be in heaven. I am glad you got there safe and had great weather. Hope you both feel better soon! I will quit babbling now. Miss you.