Sunday, March 23, 2008

New Music



Ben and I, and the dogs, made the move to Portland in my Montero pulling a U-Haul trailer. This made our top speed on the highway about 60 mph (going downhill), more typically it was around 45-50. Needless to say we spent a lot of time in the car together but somehow managed to live through it. We love each other more than anything in the world but for those who are familiar with our dynamic, this was no small feat.

Anyway, somewhere in southern California I turned to Ben and said "I have been thinking I want to start listening to Bluegrass music."

Ben replied that strangely enough he also had been thinking he wanted to get into Bluegrass music (yes, we are made for each other).

That was the end of the conversation until last night. We had our first real night out on the Portland town last night. We went to dinner at Zay Toon and has a smokin' veggie burger. Then it was on to Alberta Street Pub for some live music.

Before leaving the house I did a quick search for live music on Alberta St. (A nearby artsy neighborhood). It seemed the place to go was the pub and crazy enough, their live music tends towards Bluegrass or Irish music. We did a quick search on myspace for the band that was playing and they sounded okay but we were keeping our expectations low.

The band, Joy Kills Sorrow rocked. They were so good I almost cried. (I almost cry a lot so this isn't saying much). I LOVE music but I almost never make it through a full live show unless it's someone I'm familiar with and like. I get bored plus I turn into a pumpkin around 10:30. When this band was done I found myself hoping they had played for another hour.

Check them out!

3 comments:

dani-pack said...

we're all soulmates because lex and i were talking a while back about having a bluegrass band at our wedding. eerie...

Debby de Carlo said...

You are a blessing to our entire family. I'm so glad you're here.
Debby (Ben's mom)

Anonymous said...

Bluegrass kicks ass.

We are shooting for 4th of July weekend of 09 for a ceremony, so you two are on the lookout for bluegrass bands to hire. Maybe Ben can serenade Dani with some Ani at the reception. They are so gay.

We miss you guys :(

The good news: Dani is going to finish school on July 3rd, about a month earlier than planned! So hopefully we can get up there sooner.