Thursday, March 13, 2008

Today I rode my bike in the rain.


I feel like a real Portlander for the first time. These people ride their bikes EVERYWHERE. Ben bought me my spiffy little bike over 2 years ago and I think before Portland it had seen daylight oh, maybe twice. Needless to say it's a very happy bike these days with all the use it's getting. Trips to the grocery store, I even rode it to pick up the nephew from school. And yes, today I rode my bike to Fred Meyer in the pouring rain. Though you know I'm still a Phoenix girl when you see me riding down the street in my Portland gear (North Face fleece and rain jacket, courtesy of Ben's dad for my b-day and my Earth shoes ) but with a grande soy white chocolate mocha from the Bucks in the slot that should hold my water bottle. Some things will never change.

Some other updates:

-For my BFF Carrie - No one seems to know why you can't pump your own gas here but Jess and Chris seem to think it was to create more jobs or something. Thank goodness for that because if I don't get a job soon I will be seriously looking into it as a career.

Speaking of jobs I have my first interview today. Send me all your positive energy today at 3:15. (I am supposed to be preparing for my interview right now, instead I'm blogging). It's a disease.



-Here's the pic of my far out new shoes as promised.



-Here is a pic of the nephew. He is so handsome! It was spirit week at school this week and this particular day was crazy hair day.

The kindergartners with their mohawks were too cute. Ben and I love taking him to school everyday. We go to the cafeteria since his school provides free breakfast for all students. He eats his second breakfast while we wait for the bell to ring. We are endlessly entertained by the elementary school kids, so carefree. Now that the kids are getting used to seeing us everyday they are starting to open up. They love us, we are like rock stars in the morning. It's good for the ego, even if they are only 5 year olds.

-Ben made our first Portland friends this week. It's a nice married couple, he did some work on a guitar for the husband and the boys are new best friends. I haven't met them yet but we are doing happy hour on the 21st. (MFBD's, if you don't get here soon they could supplant you as our couple BFF's. Hurry!)

-I am responsible for dinner two nights a week (Monday & Tuesday)cooking has never really been my thing but I gotta tell you, I am, dare I say it? Awesome! Who knew I could cook? And vegan cooking, it's like some sort of Christmas miracle. I started off slow but now that I am rolling, watch out culinary world. I think there may be a cooking show in my future. Hey, I need a job, maybe restauranteur. I am, apparently, a cooking genius. I made Thai food last week and it was delicious. Not having a job has helped my skills tremendously. If it takes 3 hours to cook, no big deal. What else do I have to do, besides ride my bike.

So, overall this has been a good week for my emotional state. Last week, not so good. I miss everyone terribly. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will have our own place by May. We love staying here and taking care of the nephew but need a place in order to house all the friends and family we know will be visiting this summer.

Think of it, when it's a sweltering 115 there, it will be a balmy 80 here and I'll cook for you.

Next on Erin's blog: Conquering public transportation. Stay tuned...

7 comments:

Carrie Anne said...

hey, if i can brave philadelphia public transportation by MYSELF, you can totally handle it. portlanders are supposed to be friendly right? here's my warning: if you are lucky enough to get a seat you will be UNlucky enough to have a sweaty butt in your face from those who weren't as fortunate to get a set.

i miss you SOOOOOOOO much! i'll bring your birthday present when i come to visit you. but before i do, i truly gotta know the gas thing. that's so WEIRD! also, i may have to ban the earth shoes while i'm in town...

love ya and miss ya like crazy.

Debby de Carlo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby de Carlo said...

I deleted the first one. I shouldn't be writing at 4:55 a.m. Too many typos! Anyway, I looked into the gas pumping question when I moved out here in 99. I learned from Dept of Transportation folks that individual station owners in the 50s thought it would be the death of their stations to have self-serve and so lobbied for a law against it. Occasionally a bill to repeal the law comes around, but people seem content with it, so it stands.
You ARE an awesome cook. Good luck on you interview.
Debby
p.s. I hope you have good helmet.

dani-pack said...

I don't think that the nephew could be any cuter. Really. Lex and I can never be replaced, and you know it. I mean, nice married couple, versus nice couple who can't legally get married? Which would you choose to be BFFs with? That's what I thought.
Your bike looks awesome, and I second the idea that you need a good helmet.
We miss you desperately. As usual.

Erin said...

I LOVE those shoes!!! And Akeke is super handsome.
I'm with you on the puffy sleeves/skinny pants thing. I'll be curious to see if Cristian's fashion career takes off after this. I do think he's the most talented winner of all the seasons.
It sounds like you guys are doing really well so far and are liking it. It must be a major adjustment. Any word on the job search???
Love, Erin

Anonymous said...

Your bike rocks almost as much as my one-speed Physiofit.

I'd like to see the perfect combination of Portland Erin and Phoenix Erin: riding your bike while wearing your new shoes.

HOT!

Guitar Ben said...

I like to think that the purchase of your bike was just foreshadowing our inevitable move to this, the land where we so clearly belong. It was out of place in Scottsdale -- here it fits right in.

Carrie, don't be an Earth Shoe hater. The trick is to wear the shoes, don't let the shoes wear you.